- Send 5 previously unpublished poems in one .DOC, .DOCX, or .RTF file.
- Applications with more or less than five poems will be disqualified. Sorry! No exceptions.
- One-inch margins, 12pt Times New Roman or other standard font, single-spaced.
- One poem per page, please.
- Include all contact information on the first page of your submission.
- Poems may not have appeared anywhere online or in print.
- No children’s poetry.
Who Is Eligible To Apply
All writers eighteen or older are welcome, but early- to mid-career
writers with financial or other need are especially encouraged to apply.
To honor Peter’s too brief career in creative writing, preference will
be given to writers who have not necessarily been widely published but
who demonstrate exceptional technique, voice, and perspective.
Writer’s Relief clients past or present, employees past or present,
and previous winners are not eligible.
No preference will be given to applicants who identify themselves as friends or family of Peter K. Hixson.
Writers from all nations and backgrounds are welcome! Submissions
must be in English (for targeting primarily to American literary
journals or American literary agencies).
Applicants must be at least eighteen years old. Applicants warrant that all writing is their original creation and has
not been published in any form in print or online. We cannot work with
previously published poetry and short stories; most editors won’t